Friends of Rockland Public Library is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization with the mission of supporting the goals of the Rockland Public Library and its Advisory Board in their efforts to serve the City and the greater Rockland community.
The Friends raise money by way of…
• special events
• book & bake sales
• annual appeal
• membership (see below for more info)
• The Book Stop, a fantastic used bookstore (details below)
Our special events aim to fundraise while bringing our community together in the spirit of our fabulous local library. Examples include the summertime Book, Bake & Plant Sale, and the Holiday Tree Auction.
These events, along with our other fundraising initiatives, allow us to…
• underwrite library cards for children outside of the library’s service area
• subsidize inter-library loans for RPL card holders
• purchase children’s books and other materials for the library
• replace public access computers on a regular basis
• present special programs for all ages
• provide continuing education opportunities for library staff
• assist with the Books-on-Wheels program for housebound patrons
• subsidize Sunday hours
and as of July 1, 2019, along with the RPLEA, provide funding so that the Library is now FINE-FREE!
Along with Rockland Public Library Endowment Association (RPLEA) and many other donors, the Friends contributed significant funding to the major renovation and expansion project in 2000-2001. Recently, again in partnership with RPLEA, we reinstated Sunday hours at the library as well as funded digitization of the all Courier Gazette newspapers dating from 1846 to 1980. Best of all, when the project is completed, access will be FREE to all via the Rockland Public Library's website.
Friends volunteers run The Book Stop, a wonderful used bookstore located on the lower level of the library building. The Book Stop sells gently used books in all genres, as well as DVD’s and CD’s, all at bargain prices. It is open year-round, Monday through Saturday, 10am to 1pm. Donations of nice quality items for re-sale are gratefully accepted. All proceeds benefit the library.
Most of all, Friends of Rockland Public Library is a group of skilled and dedicated volunteers who simply love this library. Countless volunteer hours are given each month in an effort to help the library in myriad ways.
Joining The Friends
Becoming a Friend is easy! You can join for as little as $10. Membership levels are:
• Individual - $10
• Family - $25
• Patron - $50
• Benefactor - $100 or more
All membership dues and donations are tax deductible. Members receive our annual newsletter, and best of all, get to shop early at our sales.
How Do I Join?
• Pick up or print a Friends brochure (includes application) or contact us at: email@example.com
• Mail application & dues check to: Friends of Rockland Public Library, PO Box 764, Rockland, ME 04841
• Working a shift at the Book Stop
• Lending a hand at a book or plant sale
• Making or baking refreshments for various events
• Help with publicity and/or sponsorship
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to volunteer with us.
Board of Directors 2019
Rebecca Albright, Co-president
Katharine Farrell, Co-president
Lisa Ignaszak, Treasurer
Amy Levine, ex officio