All Current Alerts & Announcements

9.20.23 Public Services is actively picking up storm debris at this time. They are starting in the south end and working north.
Reminder: Taxes are due Friday, September 29th and City Hall closes at noon. Payments postmarked by September 29th will not be subject to penalty. Payments may also be dropped in the lockbox outside the front door of City Hall. Thank you!
8.23.23 The recycle hopper and residential hopper have changed. They are clearly marked and any questions please see attendant.
On July 1, 2022 Transfer Station permits are increasing. $145.00 for a Resident Permit and $20.00 for a Second Sticker.
FALL LEAF AND BRUSH PICK-UP 2023 The Public Services Department will be collecting garden debris/brush and leaves beginning the week of November 6, 2023. The crew will be making just one trip through the City to pick up garden debris/brush, so please have it placed for pick up by 7 AM on Nov. 6, 2023. Pick-up times will be 7 AM to 3 PM on weekdays. GARDEN DEBRIS/BRUSH will be taken if PLACED SEPARATELY from leaves along the edge of the sidewalk/street. PLEASE DO NOT BLOCK THE STREET OR SIDEWALK LEAVES Should be raked into piles along the edge of the sidewalk/street and should be covered with a tarp or weighted material. If you would rather bring your brush and leaves to the transfer station there is no charge for the month of November. Keeping the leaf piles separate from the debris/brush piles helps us to properly recycle these items and makes the process more efficient. Please remember not to block any sidewalks or roadways. If you have any questions, please call Rockland Public Services at 207-594-0320.

Current Weather

  •  In Public Services Department

    Over ten years ago, the City of Rockland was plagued by odors emanating from the landfill.  City Council agreed to look into the matter and hired CMA Engineering to evaluate what could be done to resolve the issue.  Based on the CMA Engineering odor study, the recommendations were to accelerate the filling of the landfill and bring it to closure as soon as possible.  Well, we are at that point where the landfill is almost full.  The Public Services department, working with the Department of Environmental Protection, has been approved to for the State Reimbursement program that will pay for 75% of the costs of the landfill closure, the remaining 25% will be covered by the landfill closure account savings.  In 2018-2019, we should expect to be at capacity in the landfill and be working on final closure plans for covering the landfill area with an engineered landfill cover system which will bring the era of landfill odors to an end.  The other piece of the puzzle is what to do with the waste that used to go in the landfill?  The answer is, we are going to do what almost all other communities do,  create an area where the various waste items that used to go in the landfill can be placed.  The segregated items will then be recycled or sent to another landfill.  Another big change coming up is how we are going to collect our recyclable materials.  In 2018, we will begin collecting all recyclable materials together in one to-be-determined location.  The days of sorting paper, tin cans, plastic containers, and cardboard are over.  Now we will collect recyclable materials in one bin and transport them to Eco Maine where a Mechanical Sorting Operation will use several mechanical technologies to sort the various recyclable types.  We will be rolling out an aggressive recycling education campaign to help educate the public.  Recycling will be much simpler.

    Rockland Transfer Station (uncapped)

    Rockland Transfer Station (capped) – Artist rendering

    Proposed transfer station master plan (aerial rendering)

    Proposed transfer station master plan – Roads & Facilities (aerial rendering)

    For any questions or inquiries into this or other Public Services projects, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

    Recent Posts