Question: How do I make a complaint against an officer?



If you wish to make a complaint about the action of a police officer or about any aspect of police operations, please:

Come to the Police department and tell any employee that you wish to make a complaint; or

Call the Police department or the City Manager’s office and tell the person answering the phone that you wish to make a complaint;


Using the “Police/Citizen Complaint” form (attached below), write your complaint and mail it to:

Chief of Police
Rockland Police Department
1 Police Plaza
Rockland, Maine 04841

A supervisory officer can assist you in filling out the form. This document asks you to identify yourself and then to give specific details about your complaint.

  • Your complaint will then be investigated. You may be contacted and asked additional questions about your complaint.
  • If it is going to take a long time to investigate your complaint, you will receive a letter telling you approximately when you may expect a reply.
  • When your complaint has been investigated, the Chief of Police will review the investigation and will write you a letter explaining what has been found out about the matter.

Police/Citizen Complaint Form

Recent Posts